What is this on the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FormerCityGal, Mar 5, 2014.

1. FormerCityGal

FormerCityGal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    We have four hens that lay regularly. They are all about 9-10 months old. For the past month or so, I have been getting eggs that look like the one in the pic. I don't know which hen is laying them. What is that crusty part? It scrapes off easily with my fingernail, and it looks like little round balls up close.

All hens appear healthy and happy and not molting.

[​IMG]

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Calcium deposits, I think. Are you providing calcium for them?

3. FormerCityGal

Apr 13, 2011
    No. About a year ago I used to toss oyster shell out once in a while, but haven't in quite a while. Their diet is layer feed and table scraps, however I DO give them a small handful of shredded cheese every day (between the four of them). Is that the culprit?

4. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    It looks like calcium deposits. Try giving them less cheese or altering the days you offer it to them.

5. FormerCityGal

Apr 13, 2011
    ^^^Thanks. I got in the habit of giving them cheese because they liked it so much! Didn't think of the consequences [​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Glad someone else was thinking calcium too. Mine love cheese too, it's hard to not give them too much when we know how much they enjoy a treat.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's just excess calcium. I wouldn't necessarily quit giving the cheese, these deposits aren't an issue.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Wow, My geese egg's do that every now and then but I never gave it a thought and now it all makes scents as one of my boy's eats cheese sandwiches and always feeds all the crust to them and this is how he gets to eat 5 or 6 sandwiches wile watching the geese ....... [​IMG]

Ya I learned something today even at my age [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeding time at the zoo [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  9. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    It is calcium deposits. It's normal, and poses no risk to the hen nor does it affect the quality of the egg itself. I would rather see this on my eggs than risk a calcium deficiency which can result in bone loss and fractures and thin shelled, fragile eggs. I provide either oyster shell calcium or crushed egg shells for my chickens all year-round. Hope that is useful information.

10. FormerCityGal

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, thank you for all the replies - they were very helpful. This morning, I did not toss any cheese out with the rest of the scraps. The hens ran around squawking and grumbling about no cheese. I felt bad and came back with a small handful of dried mealworms (a special treat given sporadically), so then they were happy. I'm glad to hear that the cheese isn't bad for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by