1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this one???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by craftdr, Apr 3, 2012.

1. craftdr

craftdr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Holt MI
    Anyone know what this may be? It looks like it has little tufts growing out the side of it's head... Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I would guess you probably have an Easter Egger on your hands... :)

1 person likes this.
  3. craftdr

Mar 30, 2012
    Holt MI
    Ok... I've done what I should have before posting and did a little more research and from what I can tell it's an Easter Egger. Now to find out how good of a layer they are & if it will fit in with the RIR's I already have. So far she (I hope) appears to be very docile but we've only had her a few hours as it is a replacement for a fatality we had today. (we didn't want the others to get too old before getting another young one)

Funny though as we were told they just got it in today so it would be about 24 hours old... We brought it home and it's bigger than my week old RIR's & has more tail feathers. :)

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like an easter egger

1 person likes this.
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Some EE chicks can be BIG FLUFFBALLS, I had one hatch and its looks as big as a 2wk old chick, lol. Some chicks can be born with pinfeathers but I've never had any born with more feathering than that. By it's wing feathering it looks to be probably 1-1.5wks old.

1 person likes this.
  6. craftdr

Mar 30, 2012
    Holt MI

Thank you. I was hoping to find a week old one so that it would be more in line with the others as I wanted to move them to their outside coop soon and didn't want to hold the others up while I waited for this one. They original 5 really like the coop when I take them out there for a while, probably because they have a 9x5 enclosure to run in instead of the 3 foot long brooder. :)

And yes, this one's head looks like a football compared to the other ones, my son was convinced we got a baby turkey by mistake because he heard the lady at the store tell me it was only a day old. lol.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ee

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Well, if it is anything like my EE's, they are a skittish birds. I have a couple of them for a year now and they are the only one of my layers that run from me when I walk into their barn. The others come right up to me looking for treats. They do lay beautiful blue eggs. :drool

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Cute little EE.

I only have four EEs but none of them are "skittish". Even the crazy girl that thinks she's in charge comes running for treats and squats at the sound of my footsteps. My EE roo is as laid back as they get. Of course, I bought from a local rather than a hatchery so maybe that's the difference? IDK, but just wanted to say that they aren't all skittish birds.

10. craftdr

Mar 30, 2012
    Holt MI

This one is so laid back & calm that I've been worrying there is something wrong with it... It has a totally different attitude than the others but appears healthy so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by