What is this oozing 🤢

Abbeynormalchickenlady

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2021
I hold my chickens regularly, and this took me by surprise. And grossed me out. I thought it was dried poop on her feathers bellow her chest so I decided to soak her to get some of it off. It started peeling off and then I noticed a hole and white inflammation coming out of it.🤮 Fluffy was getting uncomfortable (me too) and so I sprayed it with the antibiotic spray and left it. Is there anyone here that has seen this before ?

Attachments

• 8BBF8F85-A6C6-43CB-8999-716F06DE1361.jpeg
    8BBF8F85-A6C6-43CB-8999-716F06DE1361.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 8
Is that on her keel or breast bone? It looks like it could be a breast blister that has abscessed. I would clean it with chlorhexidene or a similar disinfectant, and apply plain Neosporin antibiotic ointment twice a daily. Breast blisters occur from roosting on the ground or on a rough roost/perch.

SOO, after spraying the “scab” 2days in a row it fell off. And the hole has begun to close up. with another blackish scab.
It looks like a breast blister to me too. I would follow the instructions for care that @Eggcessive posted in post#4 (quoted above)

That looks like a bone sticking out
It does look like a bone. But from what? If I remember correctly, chickens don't have that kind of bone there.
I could be completely wrong...... But that can very well be an ingrown feather. I've seen them before in turkeys, and they are disgusting. :sick

Is that on her keel or breast bone? It looks like it could be a breast blister that has abscessed. I would clean it with chlorhexidene or a similar disinfectant, and apply plain Neosporin antibiotic ointment twice a daily. Breast blisters occur from roosting on the ground or on a rough roost/perch.
Its low. I guess the keel bone, She always roosts at night on the roost, which is a branch. I guess I should take a look at that.

That looks like a bone sticking out
It does look like a bone. But from what? If I remember correctly, chickens don't have that kind of bone there.
I hold my chickens regularly, and this took me by surprise. And grossed me out. I thought it was dried poop on her feathers bellow her chest so I decided to soak her to get some of it off. It started peeling off and then I noticed a hole and white inflammation coming out of it.🤮 Fluffy was getting uncomfortable (me too) and so I sprayed it with the antibiotic spray and left it. Is there anyone here that has seen this before ?
Also, it's infected I think. You should probably take her to a vet.

Also, it's infected I think. You should probably take her to a vet.
So i don’t have any vets around me that check out chickens . The closest one is almost an hour away. I have contacted my local Co Op. Maybe they can help too.

Back
Top Bottom