What is this plant?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arcatamarcia, Jul 23, 2010.

1. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Can someone tell me what this is? I need to find out if I need to remove it from my run or build around it and leave it for the girls to play with.

It's about a three foot cluster of wedge shaped leaves in the spring. Then the leaves die back by mid-June revealing a cluster of stalks with green berries on top. If I remember right the berries turn a red during winter, but I've never really paid much attention until now so I can't remember for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    It is arum italicum. I know that it can be very difficult to get rid of. I'm not sure if it is poisonous for the chickens.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm not sure what kind of plant it is, but someone should come along that will.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Hi there. Yes, this is Arum Italicum, and all parts of the plant are considered toxic. Be sure to dig up as much as you can because it can be invasive.

5. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    After you dig it up, try dumping some full-strength white vinegar in the hole to kill the rest of the roots.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely Arum, probably italicum. Definitely somewhat poisonous (oxalic acid). Chickens typically do not eat high-oxalic-acid plants, but if you got one weird gourmet it could be Bad for her so it is sort of a personal decision what to do.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Saw your pic and immediately went to a magazine I just looked at last night-same plant-yep its a toxic weed that will keep reseeding-I definetely agree with using hot water and vinegar to destroy it-it might take more than one time but thats the safest way when animals are around!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by