What is this? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Forgotten Times, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Forgotten Times

Forgotten Times Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    A couple of my young chicks have no feathers. It's not lice, mites or anything like that. Only a handful look really bad. These chicks were born in December 2016. Any suggestions?[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably feather picking by the other chickens. Are there older chickens or any cockerels? I would separate those two in a crate with their own food and water until they are a little older. BluKote can be used every 2-3 days to cover the bare spots until the new feathers have grown in. Later on if they are still getting picked, their feathers may not grow in until they molt.

3. Forgotten Times

Forgotten Times Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Thank you for the info. All these chicks have been together since hatched. So they are the same age. It's like they never grew feathers to begin with. Only grew feathers in certain areas on their body. Very weird. I believe I've gotten all the roosters out of this bunch. Thanks again!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Those pictures show feather shafts which are evidence that they have grown feathers, and then had them picked out. There can be various reasons for feather picking. Overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, not getting outside to free range, and boredom are some of the reasons that chickens do that to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by