What is this? Poop and egg questions

NaturalHens

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
SE Washington
I've noticed this reddish/orangish tinge to one or maybe more of my hens' poop. At first I thought maybe it was something that was eaten or stress from the move, but a month later it is still there.

The egg problem. This started with a blood spot in a couple eggs, I thought "oh, no biggie that can be normal" But all the sudden there are these chunks of brown/white, and odd looking yolks and every hens egg is affected except for my Ameraucana hen she has normal looking eggs for now.

These chunks feel hard when squished, I've seen some a little bigger than these.

This egg has the chunks and this weird white "web" on the side

This egg has lots of brown spots and the yolk looks very weird.

Another weird yolk

Here is another one with a white "web"

A little background info:
I have not been the main care taker of my flock for several months, we made a big move and the husband and the hens stayed back for the winter. He made some changes on them like switching to a cheaper feed and not fermenting for them, I'm sure he gave them scraps I wouldn't approve of (like junk food). I can't imagine those changes causing all this though. I know people who keep hens in awful conditions and their hens don't lay funky eggs like these. The hens are temporarily living at my mom and step dad's house while we get a pen set up for them at our new place. We had 7 hens and 1 rooster but downsized to 5 hens with the move. They were free range, but are now penned in the city. My step dad likes to hunt up lots of earth worms, forage greens from the yard, and give them dried meal worms. I check in on the hens a few times a week, clean up the coop, check food/water/etc.

The coral color urates in the dropping can be normal especially during the night. You may want to do a search at the top of the page for an article called "common egg quality problems." The spots may be meat spots, and the "web" may be from an egg that has a crack in it and has dried out slightly. I'm not an expert, but I have eggs like those sometimes.

I looked up the article, it is a good read! However it can't be normal to have 4 out of 5 hens all having the same egg quality issues...can it? I guess I'll look into their nutrition and get their diet back on track to what they are used to. It is a huge relief to know their poo is normal and that they don't have some strange disease or something. My imagination was running away with itself lol

Back
Top Bottom