What is this roo? Updated 10/17

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by X2Farm, Sep 29, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    10/17 update-So this guy is maturing nicely! Still has a sweet temperment, no aggressiveness or rowdiness aside from putting another bird in his/her place here n there... I see one big thing, that makes me wonder what his breed is again. Catalanas are supposed to have WHITE earlobes, and his are distinctly red [​IMG] I guess its no biggie if I don't know what he is, but, its sure drivin me crazy not knowing [​IMG] [​IMG]

So now that he's grown out some, I'm still unsure of what breed he is? Hes 10wks old, today, and there is almost no tail? He's got a few green sheeny feathers on his rump, but they're barely an inch long [​IMG] His legs are sort of a slate green, and he's hugamongous. He dwarks all the other 10wk olds I have, even the welsummer pullets [​IMG] Oh, and his crow is ABSOLUTELY pitiful. Hopefully it'll improve with age [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    . . . . A mutt? [​IMG] He's got the columbian type red color like a Production Red or New Hampshire cross, but with that color of legs. . . I have no clue.

3. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:He might be [​IMG] He's from Ideal Hatchery, part of a 10 chick assortment of Standard LF... so who really knows for sure.. I don't even know where to look, that I haven't already... with some breeds, roo's are colored SO differently then the hens [​IMG]

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    He looks like an New Hampshire red crossed with a "real" aracauna. Just a thought since he is rumpless, but I have heard of this trait showing up in other breeds as well.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The day hatcheries have real Araucanas is the day meteors will shower on the world. [​IMG]

That's not rumplessness though, it's just tail feathers pulled. My previous New Hampshire cockerel had his tail feathers pulled as a chick, so he was permanently tailless, but not rumpless. Rumpless birds have a completely round, smooth behind.

6. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He's definetly got a rump, though his poor tail.... They didn't get pulled out, He's never HAD a tail, till I saw these lil feathers just the other day. Poor feller been runnin around with his tush hagin out for the last 10wks [​IMG] good thing he's big, guess that makes up for it...

The dang green tinted legs have me wierded out. They're a light grey with greenish tint [​IMG] Nothing like the green on my EE's but completely different then the slate legs on my other mystery pullet...

Curiosity is killin me [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Didn't see the post where he was from IDEAL, never would of posted that if I would of paid attention. [​IMG]

8. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:Tis ok, I am having a "brain dead can't seem to pay attention to much" night [​IMG]

I DID think he could be an Araucana at first, with the whole tailless thing, but, he's a hatchery bird, so I'm not gonna kid myself [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe they're just slate legs, only looking oddly pink and blue because of his color. My Tolbunt Polish have the same color of leg.

The closest I can think of is Buff Sussex, but we don't even have those in the US I don't think. . .

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:The day hatcheries have real Araucanas is the day meteors will shower on the world. [​IMG]

That's not rumplessness though, it's just tail feathers pulled. My previous New Hampshire cockerel had his tail feathers pulled as a chick, so he was permanently tailless, but not rumpless. Rumpless birds have a completely round, smooth behind.

HEY!!!! Don't say that!!! I dont think my house is insured for meteor showers!!! That being said...that is one bizarre looking bird. I wonder if he could be a mix of a Production RIR and a Lakenvelder with the Production Red being the dominate gene. That could explain the black in the hackles and the slate colored legs....best guess...lol is a mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by