What is this? (Salpingitis)*Warning* GRAPHIC photos

ABchickenguy

Chirping
Aug 25, 2016
Lacombe Alberta
I puchased this Silver Laced Wyandotte in June of this year and when I got her home I discovered that she was stricken with "Fly Strike" and lice. I was able to get her fixed up and was told that she was shy.
She displayed the following symptoms from the time I got her.
Poor appetite, Lethargic compared to the others, Runny and foamy diarrhea, standing hunched up with eyes closed and sometimes when she would bend over whatever fluid she had in her crop would run out onto the ground.
At first I thought that the lethargy and poor appetite were after effects from the move into her new place and the "issues" that she had.
She would eat out of my hand and would come over to me etc.
When things didn't improve I tried various remedies after checking here for the symptoms she was showing.
I bathed her in Epsom salts to keep her clean every few days, treated her for lice, coccidiosis and worms. I also tried treating her for a fungal infection in case it was vent gleet. I tried electrolytes in the water as well as apple cider vinegar. I also tried a round of antibiotics.
All these treatments produced no positive effects.
Finally, today I made the hard decision to euthanize her. I felt pretty bummed out but thought it was the best thing for her as she was so thin and the cold weather is quickly coming.
The following photos are graphic but I would like to know what this is.
There were three large masses in her abdomen that are hard and feel firmer than hard boiled eggs. All are the same consistency and were close together.

Is this internal laying? No shells were present but it does look like rubberized yolks.
I am relieved with my decision as there is no way she could have passed these masses and it must have been painful.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for the links. I had found the second link you listed and that's the one that lead me to believe that it could be Salpingitis. These masses were too hard and large to pass so I did the right thing for her after all. At least I can sleep well tonight now. It's a relief that it's not contagious as well.

Back
Top Bottom