What is this spot on my pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickgirl, Aug 8, 2010.

1. newchickgirl

newchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Appleton, Maine
    I just noticed a couple days ago that one of my pullets has just above her tail feathers. It looks dry and crackly. Should I be worried? Sorry the picture isn't better. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have a rooster, looks like some lovin' been going on.

Else it's one of the birds picking on her and tearing feathers out.

3. newchickgirl

newchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Appleton, Maine
    I have 4 roosters and 8 pullets. Would they really be starting already? 2 of the roos are 16 ish weeks and the rest are 11 weeks. If they are "lovin" already does that mean eggs will be here soon?

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    She's losing feathers - either from someone picking on her, or the roos practicing.

5. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    prolly the roos or other chickens. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You'll probably want to find homes for 3/4 roos unless you want all the girls bald! Actually, even 8 girls with one boy might result in a bald girl or two depending on their tastes. 16 weeks is about when the spunkier ones start practicing. Eggs depend on the girl, and roo's tend not to care if the girl is receptive or not, but you'll probably get eggs in the next month or two.

7. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    16 weeks START practicing??? Hmmm..........Our guy must be a serious Romeo, he was not just "practicing" at 13 weeks or so. The closer they get to laying the less they object it seems like, but they still aren't always in the mood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by