1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this squatting you speak of?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 9, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So one of my girls has started sitting down when you pet her back. She tucks her feet under her and sits like she's roosting. Is this the squatting you speak of? She's 18 weeks old and very red in the face. Should I start looking for eggs? Please??!!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Some folks say they squat when you pet them just before beginning to lay; mine ALWAYS squat when I pet them - pullets and hens. Good luck! I usually go by their combs beginning to get very red and often puffy looking. Sounds like your girl is getting close! 18 weeks is pretty young - you're lucky!!

3. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Sounds like it. We had not seen it before either.
    Its pretty much unmistakeable from anything else that we have seen.
    Ours sits on the ground, spreads her wings out and you can pet her back.
    Timeframe we have been told is about 2 weeks after that when she will lay. Although our GLW Penny layed 2 days after she first squatted for me.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mine squats when I pet her, but only if she hasn't laid yet that day. She starting doing it only a day before her first egg.

5. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Mine do that all the time. Hens and roosters alike. So I guess I am not going to know when the laying will begin. It will be a surprise.

6. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:My red sex links started to lay within about 7-10 days of starting this! Good luck!!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    When chickens squat it is to show submission. That's why hens squat for the rooster... he's in charge and she's acknowledging that. You are a rooster to your hens and they are showing you that they know you are in charge.

I've never seen any scientific evidence that supports when people say a chicken squats shortly before she's going to lay. I'm open if someone can prove that ....

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Makes sense, Chirpy. I think that folks THINK this is a sign...but I think most folks only begin to watch for it around laying time. JMO. Wish it were true...if so, every one of my 12 juveniles that hasn't yet begun to lay would have been laying by now! [​IMG]

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    But is this sitting down the squatting everyone speaks of or is she just sitting down?

This egg thing would be easier if their beak would flash on and off first or if a big sign with a flashing arrow would pop up over their head...

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Flashing arrow signs would take away all the fun! The surprise of opening the coop and finding your first egg ~ well, you just can't even put a price on it.

Enjoy this time, it's like Christmas coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by