What is this stray?Ameraucana,Araucana or EE.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Omani, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    A little over a week ago, we lost our only silkie pullet. She was my DH's sweetie. Well, this past Monday, he found this little chicken running around the parking lot at work. Can anybody tell me what breed, sex, or age it is?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Her/his legs and feet look yellow with a black wash over them. You can just barely see the tan or buff colour around her/his neck and in the tail. The comb looks more standard than pea, with very little colour in it.
    Thanks.

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I would guess she is an Easter Egger pullet. As for age... [​IMG] young... [​IMG]

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    almnost no neck huh?

I thought Araucana (SP?) had no rump feathers???

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Looks like an EE pullet, wish I would find a couple stray ones, lol.

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    easter egger

6. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    Thanks. I thought it was an easter egger too. They are on my wish list. [​IMG] Being a girl works out too. She will be a replacement companion for our mille fleur cockerel, since the silkie died.
    How long do you think I should keep her in quarantine? And should I medicate her, in case?

BTW...Sorry about the second picture. I didn't realize how bad it was until after I posted.

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    quarantine is usually 30 days, but I believe there is a disease that takes 45 days to show signals....so a 45 day quarantine is not unwarranted.

8. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Quote:You mean rumps ("parson's noses") They all have tail feathers, but I think you mean the sticky-up sickle feathers. Anyway, some Araucana do have rumps. The rumpless gene is deadly if the chicken inherits both rumpless genes, so any rumpless Araucana has one rump gene and one rumpless gene to pass on. I forget which is the dominant gene. And then add to that the deadly tufted ear gene, and you get very few living rumpless & tufted araucanas. Hence the rareness of show birds in the breed.
    I'm just learning all this now. Feel free to correct me. [​IMG]

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:You mean rumps ("parson's noses") They all have tail feathers, but I think you mean the sticky-up sickle feathers. Anyway, some Araucana do have rumps. The rumpless gene is deadly if the chicken inherits both rumpless genes, so any rumpless Araucana has one rump gene and one rumpless gene to pass on. I forget which is the dominant gene. And then add to that the deadly tufted ear gene, and you get very few living rumpless & tufted araucanas. Hence the rareness of show birds in the breed.
    I'm just learning all this now. Feel free to correct me. [​IMG]

Suzannaski, you have your genes mixed up. The TUFTED gene is the lethal one. The rumpless gene is not lethal at all.

So if a chick is homozygous for tufting, it will die in shell.

10. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    EEer- pullet.... Cute girl! [​IMG] My roo EEer is 8 weeks old and had a long tail for 3 weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by