What is this thing growing on my chick? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BayouPoules, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for looking,.

It's a 4wk old BCM chick.

It started small and has grown over the last week. It feels firm but gives a little,.. not solid hard. Nothing oozing out. The chick doesn't seem to be in pain from it except when I tried to squeeze it. She is eating and drinking well. I have been using an antibiotic in the eye just in case . I thought it looked like a parasite,. she is in an indoor brooder now,.but was hatched out under a broody hen that was a bad Mom ,.so we took it after 3 days of being outside. If I had found this anywhere else on the chick,. I would have cut it open by now to get whatever it is out,. but it's so close to her eye that I am hesitant to do that. Anyone seen this before?
    .[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    If it is a little squishy, you could try to poke it with a needle and let it drain. By that, you could probably tell if it is infected if pus drains out, or it might be something else if it just clear liquid. Sorry I can't help more.

3. BayouPoules

Thanks,.. I am leaning that way,. but I am hoping someone can Identify it before I start that..

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    BayouPoules, I have a chicken with something like that, but it very well might be different. It showed up near the top of the eyelid on my BA when she was about six-months old. It grew for some time and then stopped. It looks kind of like a mole/wart but hasn't changed in size for a very long time. Well, it did get pretty swollen recently when her newly hatched chicks thought it was something that needed to come off of momma right away! We call it her "pig-stye in the eye" in honor of a thread I once saw here. It's been stable for over a year now and doesn't seem to get in the way of her vision too much. If I had a decent pic I'd post it, but I don't. I hope whatever is on your bird goes away soon!

5. BayouPoules

I wish ya had a picture too Gallo del Cielo

I thought it was eye worm at first,. (a gross, disgusting thing [​IMG] ) but a closer inspection of the very few good pics of eye worm don't really look like this,..

this thing has a little crust in the center,.. I may have to just cut this thing open,.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Yeah, eye worms are creepy! I'm so glad it's not that! The little crust in the center is suspicious. Perhaps there might be something ingrown or embedded?

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

looks a lot like an abscess.. I would take a sterile needle and try lancing it

8. BayouPoules

Tried lancing it,. it's hard on the inside and nothing comes out.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

maybe it's a wart then?

I would say just keep an eye on it and if it doesnt get any bigger or bother the chick any then try not to worry about it too much

10. BayouPoules

Well,. it's getting bigger,.. it's starting to pull the poor chick's lower eyelid out and down.

Amazingly,. my dog and cat's vet , whose family raised chickens and quail when she was young, will see my chick tomorrow morning!
    She is so cool,.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by