What is this thing I got out of my 7 year old hen's foot?

She's not going tolerate that. And if she does then her coopmates are not (anything unusual is going to attract unwanted attention). Leave it. Just check her foot on a regular basis.

She's not going tolerate that.  And if she does then her coopmates are not (anything unusual is going to attract unwanted attention).  Leave it.  Just check her foot on a regular basis.

I've done a few peafowl as shown in the link I posted and they weren't bothered by them. At first they walk kind of funny, but after about an hour they're walking fairly normal.

-Kathy

I just zoomed in on the pictures and don't see any raw parts in the pocket. If they're aren't any raw spot, no need to wrap.

-Kathy

I was just hoping I could keep out gunk from that hole as it is really deep, It does have some strange skin in there but it isn't bleeding.

Last edited:
Maybe just something over that hole? it seems tender and I really don't want something getting stuck in there and it getting infected... this is my first experience with foot problems.

Last edited:
The pocket is always going to be there to a greater or lesser degree. Just keep an eye on it. It is nothing to stress about.

You pulled a huge hunk of crap out of your hen's foot before it got impacted or infected. You are clearly an observant poultry keeper. An empty pocket is nothing. It is merely one more thing you need to keep in mind as you are minding the birds. Leave it be. She will be happier if you do not fuss over it too much.

The pocket is always going to be there to a greater or lesser degree. Just keep an eye on it. It is nothing to stress about.

You pulled a huge hunk of crap out of your hen's foot before it got impacted or infected. You are clearly an observant poultry keeper. An empty pocket is nothing. It is merely one more thing you need to keep in mind as you are minding the birds. Leave it be. She will be happier if you do not fuss over it too much.

If you can't see any raw spots/blood, no need to wrap.

-Kathy

Great. I just wanted to be sure, as she is my special hen and I would be devastated if I killed her by ignorance. Thank you.

Last edited:
She's been doing well. The pocket starts to fill up every few days, but I just get it out and then she's fine again. Thanks so much for all your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom