what is this thing on the egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Sep 18, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The last few eggs from Ally have had this thing in the egg. 2 of the 3 have had it in the white and this one was attached to the yolk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BuddyT

BuddyT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    that connects tothe sides of an egg to keep the yolk from moving too much or sticking to the side of an egg there are usually two and one of them is usually longer than the other.the actual word for it is chalazae

3. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Why have I not seen it in any other eggs I've ever cracked?
    I see the things that keep it where it belongs in the shell, but it has never looked like this until the last few days of laying - and these 3 have all been either free floating in the white or in this case, stuck to the yolk and nothing else.
    They've always looked like the other one in the top pic (at the top).
    Is something causing them to get weird looking like this?

4. BuddyT

BuddyT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Hmmm. i suppose if its different than the other ones it might not be that... is it a different duck than the ones you usually get eggs from? have you changed feed? is the duck just coming into adult-laying? I guess there may be things that effect it... do you have males? maybe it is the very very very first signs of fertilization? its the egg white that turns into babies if you didnt know, a common misconception is that its the yolk... while the yolk is actually the food supply.

Maybe some one else with more experience will chime in... If it doesnt smell i would assume its safe to eat.... BUT Im not an expert.

5. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I hate to go off Topic TL, but are the ducks in your avatar runners? I have a rescue drake that has markings exactly like the buff tuxedo-looking duck on the right and I've been guessing what he (mostly) is for a while.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We get those blobs from time to time from our runners. I don't know what it is - I reckon it's benign, but I don't like to eat or serve them because it doesn't look so good. A few times I've just pulled it off (not easy to do) and scrambled the egg.

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I ususally see those chalazi on my eggs, and not to change subject but I had my first nasty egg today. We had gone on vacation and the neighbors did not gather the eggs. So I have been cracking them in one bowl and then putting them in another when I use them. Good thing... today I cracked one and it looked like it had a little face forming..... ugh!

8. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:not TL, but those are runners... the color you're talking about is usually called "faun and white".

9. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Yep, runners.

The fawn and white one is the one the egg came from - all 3 of the weird ones came from her. She's been laying since January. Just 2 girls, no boys here. No change in anything other than we've had a few beautiful days recently instead of sweltering hot ones.
    I pulled one off and used it Friday and did the same today with the one in the white, but this one on the yolk just wasn't coming off.

I was pruning all the shrubs around the house yesterday and today. The girls came to watch and I found an egg under the shrubs in Blue's old nest. Told DH it looked fresh. He asked if I was willing to eat it. I said no way, it only looked fresh, who knows how long it had been there. So we cracked it. It's a 'fresh' one.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It doesn't look like the little "spring" that holds the yolk in place. My best guess is that it is a little blob of misplaced calcium.

Nothing that a duck puts into an egg is going to be dangerous to eat. But you can pick it off, or feed the egg to your dogs if you are worried about it.

Occasionally some weird stuff gets included inside eggs. I used to get chicken eggs with the occasional bit of cracked milo (sorghum) enclosed and floating in the white. Too weird because the digestive tract shouldn't be connected to the egg tract. Yet, there it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by