what is this thing that wont leave coop?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JesCelina, Oct 31, 2016.

1. JesCelina

JesCelina Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    Fenton Mi
    we came home from a week long trip and when we got back, we found this hanging around our chicken coop. My brother who came by each day to check on my girls made mention that a "turkey' was hanging around and never left. I took a picture to send to a friend who works with the DNR says it is a peafowl. Not familiar with peafowls and was wondering if someone here could help me. I am afraid to let my girls out....is this male or female? what do I do?? it seems friendly but...

[​IMG]

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Looks to be a guinea fowl. I don't own guinea, much too vocal for my area, however, those that do own them swear they're great at tick management, however, if you keep bees, best not to have them. I'm afraid I'm no help in the what sex it looks to be.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Yes looks like a guinea, but the face looks weird. They have two wattles but I don't see those.

4. JesCelina

May 24, 2015
    Fenton Mi
    YES!! the face looks very strange...it looks like a half turkey half?

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a guinea to me..... [​IMG] I don't have any, but our neighbors do.

~Alex

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That's a male guinea fowl. The face looks funny in that picture because it;s side ways plus he has the big adult male wattles- those stick out sideways from the face.

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely a guinea fowl. They love to eat ticks. If you want to know the sex, listen to it vocalize. A hen makes a two syllable noise while a male's noise is only one syllable. Sort of like wheatWHEAT versus wheat wheat.......wheat.......

1 person likes this.
  8. PeacockJoJo

PeacockJoJo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Adorable little guinea! Many people around my area keep them with their flocks for protection from aerial predators

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Aw cute little guinea. Will you keep him?

10. JesCelina

May 24, 2015
    Fenton Mi
    More than likely!! I just dont want my girls upset. they havent laid eggs in a few day and my astrothorp is losing her feathers:( I let them out and for a few mins all was great until IT started chasing them. I had to shoosh him away. he made it into their coop and started eating their food. I was afraid they would not go back in, but he eventually got out after he figured how to and I was able to coax them back in. i immediatly shut the door. will continue trying to work with this situation....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by