What is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by encmanerabbitry, Dec 9, 2008.

1. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    This came from one our RIR laying hens, (they are in laying cages, so yes I know it was hers). She has been laying every day without a problem, in the picture is the egg she laid just yesturday.
    This weird egg doesn't have a shell, it feels like the yolk of a hard boiled egg, and when I cut it open its has different layers in it.
    What is this? And what would cause her to lay it?
    They are fed layer feed and oyster shells.
    Thanks everyone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hmm, that exact phenomenon is a new one on me [​IMG] I've had lots of pullets and hens lay shelless eggs, though. But usually the yolk isn't, er, "cooked." I suppose it stayed in there long enough for her body heat to harden the yolk (just a thought). Sometimes they'll lay shelless eggs at the very beginning or end of a laying cycle (right after or before a molt). Sometimes, if it continues, it's the sign of a problem with the shell gland.

3. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    hmm well this hen moulted a couple months ago, she is in perfect feather and is about 18 months old. Even during her moult she was still laying, though not as many, but the quality never changed. I've never had any other strange eggs from her. Or any one else for that matter.

Will she continue to lay these?

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Most likely it's just a fluke. If she continues then, yes, I'd be concerned. Personally, I think it's her way of saying..."Let me out of this cage!!" [​IMG]

5. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Quote:The layers are only in cages for a few months in the winter.

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Why are they put into cages? It must be very stressful for them, after being free for the rest of the year.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    When I see something like that, it's usually after I've cut the bird open because she was an internal layer. You may have gotten lucky with her, and she was able to pass it. I had to put one hen down that had a mass the size and consistency of a large russet potato. [​IMG] If you can remove them from the cages, I would.

8. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Wow, thanks for missing the whole point of the post!

I have no choice but to move them in for the winter, they have a heated barn, all they can eat feed, warm water, and each has their own large cage. THOSE POOR CHICKENS! I'm sure there are worse things. If they weren't happy they wouldn't lay. Good grief.

9. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

When I see something like that, it's usually after I've cut the bird open because she was an internal layer. You may have gotten lucky with her, and she was able to pass it. I had to put one hen down that had a mass the size and consistency of a large russet potato. [​IMG] If you can remove them from the cages, I would.

I thought it looked like something I've seen posted from the internal layers. But I wasn't sure.

If I could leave them free range I would, trust me! Its not an option in the winter.​

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's probably good that it passed! I have a hen I put down who had these mases growing in her reproductive tract and she could not pass them. She may be becoming an internal layer so keep an eye out on her production, this is one that I got out of my bird after I culled her. She had 4 large ones, and a few smaller pieces...

Graphic Pic

Graphic Pic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by