What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenKeep01, Oct 26, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Today on the back of one of my Isa browns had a small patch of feathers missing from the back of her head. So i thought it was bullying at first but then i noticed that the same thing was happening to my other Isa browns. Here a pictrue[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    In that location it is usually a cockerel/rooster that is responsible, but they could just be starting to moult. How old are they? If you have no rooster and they are over a year old then it is moulting and may get significantly worse before it gets better. Giving them a higher protein feed or some mealworm, cat food or scrambled egg treats will help them through it.

Best wishes

Barbara

3. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I do have a rooster but he is only a bantam and usually gets bossed around by them and they are about 9 months old.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Bantam or not, he is your most likely culprit.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Also thinking cockerel in that area. The feathers will not grow back until molt.

Keep an eye out and make sure nobody spots a red looking area and decides to peck it open. Anybody laying eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by