What is this???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BekahsChicks, Nov 8, 2016.

1. BekahsChicks

BekahsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    [​IMG] Has anyone seen this before?? Started as a pale white spot about a week ago and is now turning black and obviously swollen. She's still eating/drinking and acting normal. Not sure if rooster or another hen may have started it or what. My dad wants to cut it off but I'm afraid that could compound the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Don't cut it off.......Wash it with simple salt water and apply Blu-kote.......Rooster damage......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Looks like a little injury to me. I'd apply a little Neosporin and keep an eye on her.

She's still eating and drinking and otherwise acting like a normal chicken?

MrsB

4. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    yep she is still being her "normal" self, *fingers crossed* I'm hoping it will heal with yalls suggestions!

5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Keep us posted. :)

MrsB

6. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    injury or dry pox.

7. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I doubt it's dry pox, only because there would be multiple bumps spreading over her comb, face, and wattles... This looks isolated.

It *could* be, but I really feel it's an injury.

MrsB

8. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    I'm pretty sure injury as well because we just recently lost 2 of our hens who were at the top of order and I've noticed they all have been attacking each other more but just not sure what to do for it, today it's looking more "droopy" she won't be still long enough for a pic but it's not puss or bleeding she swollen and black... I wonder since we have already had a few "freezing" nights here if maybe it's a touch of frost bite???

9. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    It very well could be frostbite. If you're going to have more freezing temps, maybe consider bringing her inside? If that's what it is, she may lose the "tip" of that point.

Predator stress can make chickens do funny things. I am sorry for your troubles. :( You might consider hanging a cabbage in their run for chicken tetherball or poke holes in a plastic water bottle to fill with scratch. What kind of predator do you feel got them?

MrsB

10. BekahsChicks

Oct 15, 2016
    Speedwell Virginia
    Well we're in sw Virginia (new here) and haven't SEEN any predators but we've heard coyotes in the woods behind us and seen bear tracks Neighboor said they had a bear on her porch last year... my current theory is either a bully hen the rooster or frostbite....

*edit except at night they have free run of almost an acre as we've fenced in our yard for what it may or may not matter..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by