What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpokaneWA1988, Nov 13, 2016.

1. SpokaneWA1988

SpokaneWA1988 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Yesterday, one of our hens started acting strangely. Huddled by herself with her feathers fluffed, eyes closed, head tucked under a wing, hunched over. She had white diarrhea and she's swollen beneath her vent.

We checked twice and she's not egg bound. We soaked her in an epsom salt bath, brought her inside the house, she's not much better this morning.

I found this inside the crate she's in and I'm wondering if it's indicative of anything? It's rubbery and the size of my thumbnail. I squished it and it just looks cheesy and fleshy. I have no clue what it could be.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. SpokaneWA1988

Jun 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It 's possible that it is a piece of a lash egg, which is solidified pus material from salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct from infection. Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and salpingitis can be related to the common reproductive disorders. A vet might be able to help confirm this.

4. SpokaneWA1988

Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for the response and you were right. The vet confirmed it was Salpingitis and that was a piece of a lash egg. We were advised to put her on antibiotics but that she didn't have much of a chance of making it. Miraculously, she appears to be back to normal after having tertracycline for two days. Amazing!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good to know. I think chickens with reproductive disorders can live for some time, getting better or becoming sicker. Most people try to let them live out the rest of their lives as comfortable as possible. That might be days, months, or years.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Glad to hear your girl is doing a bit better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by