What is this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by asheshp, Dec 31, 2016.

1. asheshp

asheshp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    PA
    Hi guys! So one of my hen's feathers look messed up. All the rest look perfectly normal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is she okay? I feel like maybe she is my rooster's favorite? My other hens look completely fine but I know he has no tact and none of them like when he mounts them. Feedback would be great so I can try and come up with solutions if this is something bad.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Rooster wear. She's most likely one of your better layers.

1 person likes this.
  3. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    I think she'll be fine. It is probably her feathers getting ruffed. If she starts to go bald on her back, or you think the rooster is mounting her too much, then you can get her a saddle.

4. asheshp

Jun 15, 2016
    PA
    Okay, thank you so much guys! I didn't know they had saddles so I will keep an eye on her and maybe look into that if it gets bad. Also you can't really tell but before the ruffled feathers her back feathers are all flattened that is what made me think it might be from him.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is caused from treading from the Rooster..........Does not mean she is his favourite, only means she submits for him.......

Lighter feathered Hens get more damage than Fluffy thick feathered Birds, like Orpingtons.......

She will be okay.......

Cheers!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be 'rooster wear'.... she also could have brittle feathers and resulting in more feather damage than the other girls.

7. asheshp

Jun 15, 2016
    PA
    Thank you for the responses! Glad she will be okay [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by