What is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SierraWakeley, Feb 19, 2017.

1. SierraWakeley

SierraWakeley New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Murdo SD
    [​IMG]

Just pulled this from one of my hens vents... I noticed egg yolk on the shavings below the roost this morning... did she have a egg without the shell? I didn't see any shells anywhere.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It does look like the soft shell or membrane of an egg. Never had to pull one out of the vent before though.

Soft shelled eggs are common when the reproductive system is just starting up or shutting down for the season. So if she is acting normal and you KNOW that the nutritional needs are being met, then there probably isn't too much to worry about.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

4. emgrider

emgrider Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    I agree 100% with what has been previously said

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. EMorical

EMorical Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2016
    SouthWest NoDak
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello! Started a thread earlier with some questions and someone pointed me to here!

I had the pretty much exact thing happen to me this evening --

I had a hen whom I think/thought was "egg bound" - noticed her this afternoon walking a little goofy, lethargic/not near as active as usual, and some clear discharge. I scooped her up off the roost when she had settled for the night; and into the bathroom we went for a soak and some tums. I was feeling her abdomen/vent area and I didn't really feel anything that feels like it could be an egg. But all this feeling happened after I had her in the tub, so I just continued with a 30 minute spa treatment and calcium load.

Ended up pulling this out about an hour later.

Do you spose it's the same as @SierraWakeley ??

6. SierraWakeley

SierraWakeley New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Murdo SD
    Certainly looks similar she didn't have the soft (egg white) type stuff with mine..just the the more rough end piece. Looks pretty close to the same! How's your gen doing? Mine is doing good.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

@EMorical It does appear the same.

Sounds like you did all you could. [​IMG]

Has she returned to normal since you got that out? I know sometimes eggs can break with the shell and cause problems. With no shell, maybe her contractions just weren't enough to get that out. And maybe the discharge was egg stuff from inside the skin. But her spa treatment probably helped!

If she is back to normal, I probably wouldn't be too concerned. But if she is still lethargic we should be looking for more clues.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. EMorical

EMorical Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2016
    SouthWest NoDak
    Yep ---- doin good! I figured if she felt fine enough to frantically pace her "quarantine pen" she was fine enough to be let out with her friends [​IMG] And I believe she laid a perfectly good egg yesterday! (I'm still playing the "who lays what" game with my new pullets)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by