What is this

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
About a month ago I started to notice my Ameriucana hen coughing, sneezing, laying in the corner of the run and had some clear discharge coming out of her nose and eyes. I Treated her with the poultry store respiratory and dewormer powder in scrambled egg with crushed meal worms. Within 2 days she was doing much better and in 4 days she was pretty much back to normal so I stopped treating her and she's been doing great. But around a few days ago I I was looking at her and noticed the eye discharge is coming back it's like a really watery clear fluid that kind of bubbles up around her eye I also noticed one of my younger pullets is having the eye symptoms to does anyone know what this is or how to treat it if so it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Do you have any pictures of the eye? It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease that is contagious. Testing is the best way to identify it. Tylan injectable given orally or Tylosin powder can be put into the water for treatment. Tylosin powder is available at jedds.com and some feed stores sell Tylan 50 injectable. Here is some info on MG:

https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of the eye? It could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease that is contagious. Testing is the best way to identify it. Tylan injectable given orally or Tylosin powder can be put into the water for treatment. Tylosin powder is available at jedds.com and some feed stores sell Tylan 50 injectable. Here is some info on MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/resource/...mycoplasma-gallisepticum-mg-infection-poultry
I have been hoping not mg. I will take some pics tomorrow

20220522_100724.jpg

This is the pullet that has the eye problems she hasn't been coughing sneezing or lethargic but just watering and in only one of her eyes. I was wondering if it might be just an eye infection. The hen is looking good today her eyes are all cleared up and she was pale on one side of her face where the eye was watery but now has bright color and seems a lot better. Since it's only in one eye could that mean it's not mg. Also the pullet has no smell around her face I read that one of the symptoms of mg

MG is very common and frequently only affects one eye. Crusty drainage around the eyelid, foam or bubbles, and swelling around the eyelid, are common symptoms. You can use a warm wet compress on the eye to clean off any drainage. Saline eye wash can be used to flush the eye, and Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be used in the eye 2-3 times daily.

MG is very common and frequently only affects one eye. Crusty drainage around the eyelid, foam or bubbles, and swelling around the eyelid, are common symptoms. You can use a warm wet compress on the eye to clean off any drainage. Saline eye wash can be used to flush the eye, and Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment can be used in the eye 2-3 times daily.
Okay thanks I heard somewhere that if you let it go long enough it can be incurable is that true and how should I treat it to cure

MG is chronic or lifelong. Once they get better, they may not have another outbreak or they may get sick again. They will be carriers, and can spread it to other birds. Testing is a good way to find out whether or not it is MG you are seeing. Testing can be done by Zoologix, a national lab where you mail in swabs taken on a sick bird. Read the link in post 2 for a good article about MG.

Okay thanks I heard somewhere that if you let it go long enough it can be incurable is that true and how should I treat it to cure
MG is incurable no matter what. You can just help treat the symptoms. Tylan is something easy to find. My local tractor supply carries it. She will spread it to the other birds, they may or may not show symptoms. You'll need to close your flock, no birds in and no birds out. Including hatching eggs.

Just to update (yes it's months later I know) everyone is doing great! Nobody else has had symptoms and no problems with the birds that were sick! I don't think it was MG since I've had no further problems. Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad to hear that they have not had any more problems. Respiratory diseases can occur in times of stress (as other diseases) such as during a molt and during very cold winter weather. I would just keep an eye on them, and look for any that are acting lethargic or hanging back from the rest.

Back
Top Bottom