What is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LizzyJo, May 17, 2009.

1. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    Is this a rooster? What kind is it? It is 3.5 months old and is the biggest of them all. Since none of the others looks like this one, I don't know if big is indicative of roo-ness or if it is because of the breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one, besides being the biggest and the strangest looking, is the smartist. When I walk into the yard all the others scatter or peck my shoes. This one twists its head around and looks me in the eye. Sometimes it flies up and perches on my forearm to get petted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    He is unusual! At least he is friendly! [​IMG] I am no help as to what breed however!

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    LizzyJo..it is a roo..it looks like a mixed breed...he is a cutie..is he crowing, yet? DJ

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Speckled Sussex cockerel, definitely. I hatched a bunch of those, had 8 males, all very round of body with more white on them than the girls.

6. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    I also agree that he is a Speckled Sussex cockerel.

7. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    I have some girl speckled people, so it would be understandable that a boy sneaked in. He isn't crowing yet. When he does, he will have to go away. I have bootleg chickens in my suburban neighborhood!

See the border collie pup in my avatar picture. He is grown up now and his only purpose in life is to stare at chickens and run at the fence around the chicken yard. I have to take him into a different part of the yard a couple of times a day, or he would not eat or drink.

We go for a 45 minute run 5 days a week. That is only something he puts up with until he can get back to herding his flock.

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Speckled Sussex cockerel

9. Poultry Palace

Poultry Palace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Live Oak, Florida
    Speckled sussex roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by