what is this???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by crzychicken, Sep 21, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Why are some of my meat bird butts purple looking with not many feathers?I also lost some too cocci and after they where dead the comb was purple color is this normal 1st time meat birds and probably the last time !

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    After any bird is dead, it's normal for the comb to look purple. It is due to the lack of oxygenation of the blood.

I've found the my meat birds that are being pecked at will have redder, less feathered behinds than others. Make sure they have enough room. Also, you can put Blu-Kote on the red patches to discourage more pecking, but then the skin will be really purple, and even after butchering, will still have a little purple in the feather pores. Safe to eat, but not the best if you are selling the birds. For family use, I would put Blu-Kote on and keep an eye out for who is pecking.

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Thank you it's just one roo and one hen has a purpleish hue comb and legs also look a little purpleish I did call the Feed store and they said they got some like that the last time also mine are just getting throw cocci I should have given them the med feed right away but I was trying to raise them w/o it, well.. meat Birds are not the same as my layers I had no idea how much they poop and eat and yes I read they eat and poop more but until you see it WOW I couldn't believe it, now I know I would have done a whole other set up for them live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by