WHAT is this?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Acre of Blessings, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The only thing I know about this is that the tree that it fell from was imported from Germany years ago and planted o a nearby farm. This thing weighs over a puond and has a mild sweet scent. I was told the inside looks similiar to a pineapple.

If you know anything about this please inform me. Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Its a hedge apple from a hedge tree. Some folks call them osage oranges. Hedge makes excellent fence posts and burns forever in a wood stove. The apples aren't good for much. Although, some say they keep this that or the other thing away. Do a google search to see what they use them for. [​IMG]

3. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
  4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Maclura pomifera, aka osage orange, aka hedge apple, aka horse apple, aka bois d'arc ("bodark")...lots of names.

We have an absolute TON of it around here.. One of these days, I'm going to find one with a good, straight 6-8' section, cut it into staves, cure it, and start "chasing rings" to make myself a longbow..

One of these days.. [​IMG]

5. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    It's a hedge ball! Used to keep away spiders and all kinds of bugs in your house...the sign at the grocery store always reads: Hedge balls DO NOT EAT!!! Put them in the corners of the rooms of your house and you won't have any bugs.

I tried it one year just to see...Didn't work too well.

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    We have those here too, on one road that I travel now and then. I made this same post a year ago asking what they were. Neat, huh? Horse apples-just don't eat them or give them to your chickens.

7. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    They are really cool looking. I am wondering if they can be dried out to use for a decoration or something.

Curiousity is getting the best of me. [​IMG]

8. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    OMG haven't you see Maaaaatha Stewert decorate with them, she likes green you know.

Collect several and put in a large shallow bowl and be ever so chik, oops chic.

DonnaBelle

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:They seem to just sorta get mushy, turn brown, and rot as far as I can tell.. They smell kinda good, though...maybe you could slice one up, dehydrate it, and use hedge apple chips in potpourri or something.

Now, if you'll excuse me...there's someone here asking for my man card.

[​IMG]

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Google Osage Orange decorations and you will find tons and tons of ideas for them.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by