What is this!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbey2140, Jul 9, 2010.

1. abbey2140

abbey2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    I found this on one of my Serama Roo's that we have had for about a month that we got from a very reputable breeder. When we got him I noticed it and I treated him because I thought it was lice, the hen he came with, and my entire flock with Ivermectin. Its now been a month and he still has these at the base of his feathers. He is in a cage with 2 hens and neither of them have this. Any ideas? He is supposed to go to fair the 2nd week of August but he wont be able to if this doesn't go away.

Notice on this one there are little nodes coming off his skin almost in place of feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My best guess would be egg casing shells that are essentially glued onto the feather shafts. Not sure how to rid of them myself, even if the lice are all gone.

3. abbey2140

abbey2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    Not even sure he had lice. He had this just like it looks now when I got him a month ago. The strange this is that we got another roo and 2 hens from the same place at the same time.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by