What is this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I had 20 BR eggs on an so far 13 has hatched. They were due for tomorrow. I had 3hatch yesterday, 4 over the night and 6 today and got the rest coming. One of the ones that hatched today and something on it's back kinda like a lot of loose skin. What is it? Is it just because it's early. Maybe you can tell in the pic. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    It looks like part of the yolk pretty yellow they absorb that to live off of for a couple days its food for them....you don't have him out too soon do you? do not take out of the incubator for a couple days not till dry its fuzzys look wet still.

3. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I agree...yolk sac...it can take a day or so to totally go away.

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Looks like a yolk sack to me too, someone gave me a chick with this to look after along with a silkie chick, the one with the yolk out the body died! I think it means they have comeout too soon and I can still remember the smell!! Good luck with it!

5. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Don't take them out of the bator for a couple days? I always take them out the day they hatch. I don't take them right after I let them dry a little and I've never had any problems with any. What can taking out to soon do?

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I wait 24hrs before removing them from the bator. You want them to rest for a while and get their bearings, being able to stand and walk around before moving them to a brooder.

7. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:Don't take them out of the bator for a couple days? I always take them out the day they hatch. I don't take them right after I let them dry a little and I've never had any problems with any. What can taking out to soon do?

yep. they usually stay in there at least 24 hrs...they have to be all nice and fuzzy, no wet areas at all.

I might would put him back in the bator to warm up and dry off a bit more. I've had a couple where the sac is still a bit attached and not soaked in, but after I let them dry and fluff, they are just fine [​IMG]

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Folks, I disagree with those who say it's an unabsorbed yolk sack -- this is on the bird's BACK, not the navel area/abdomen.

To me, it almost looks like a heat burn that has blistered. Is it possible the chick got up against the heating element of the incubator somehow?

If not that, I really don't know. But, it looks like something that needs to be aspirated with a sterile very fine gage needle and then treated right away with antibiotics to me. At least, that's what I would do until I had a better diagnosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by