What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenmore, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Help what is this? looks like scabbs but dont know. Do I need to seperate her or is this just what my wife calls rooster lovins? [​IMG]

2. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    its normal its just scabbs she will be fine

3. mccabe

mccabe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Aloha Tenmore, It is indeed an injury. The problem with chickens is, once there is an injury, the other chickens will peck at it. If this is from a rooster you have too many for your flock of hens. If you have only one rooster, this is probably something else.

Could she have caught it on a piece of wire? Does she ( and the entire flock) have mites or parasites and she has scratched herself until she made a sore? It is important to find the source so this doesn't happen again.

As for this sweet girl, I would separate her and use a little hydrogen peroxide or aloe vera (avoid eyes!) on the wound. It will heal pretty quickly. Make an infirmary (you will need one for this and that over time anyway) in a cage that is free of drafts and out of sun and heat. Give her lots of clean water, grain, and fresh greens. She'll be fine soon.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Looks like scabs to me. Just keep an eye to make sure no signs of infection, red, oozing, etc. Also make sure others aren't picking at it, is so I would separate.

5. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ok thanks Mccabe I have only one roo all are the same age....She is actually one of the smaller hens but she seems to be one of the more dominate hens.

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If the roo is mating her a lot, you might want to separate her just to let her heal a bit and give her a rest -- or not. The only other reason to separate IMO is if others are pecking the sores. When I've seen this sort of sore, I've never known the others to bother it.

If the black areas are flat, instead of a little raised and bumpy like a scab, they could be fowl pox, which you also don't have to do anything about.

7. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Quote:Ya they look more like scabs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by