What Is This!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jul 9, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    ok if anyone has ever seen me post pics of my ducks, and I'm saying that they are rouen, DON'T TRUST MY JUDGMENT. i was pretty darn sure they were rouen, but now I'm thinking they are mallard, what do yo think?!?!

this is my head male Bob. hes awesome.
    [​IMG]

this is his lady Ember
    [​IMG]

this is Bob and Muffin top.
    [​IMG]

this is just Muffin top.
    [​IMG]

this is all of them when they were 11 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

this all of them just yesterday
    [​IMG]

this is all of them the same day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Mallards are small ducks, same look as rouen. Drake has reddish chest feathers.
    Wiki
    Rouen
    The plumage coloring of both the Rouen Drake and the Rouen Hen are identical to that of the Mallard Drake and Mallard Hen: Males have green heads, white collars, black tail feathers, a gray body, and a deep claret breast while the Females are mottled light brown with a black crown and eye-stripes; Both genders also have blue speculum feathers. However, Rouens are brighter in colour and larger in size than Mallards. The Rouen Duckling is identical to the Mallard Duckling in terms of plumage coloring. In North America, two distinct types are bred: the common or production-bred variety that is larger than a Mallard but has a typical duck conformation; and the much larger and squarer standard-bred variety. The production variety normally weighs 6–8 lbs (2.7–3.6 kg) while the standard-bred weighs 9–12 lb (4.1–5.4 kg).

Mallard
    The Mallard is 56–65 centimetres (22–26 in) long (of which the body makes up around two-thirds), has a wingspan of 81–98 centimetres (32–39 in),[7] and weighs 0.9–1.2 kilograms (32–42 oz). The breeding male is unmistakable, with a bright bottle-green head, black rear end and a yellowish orange (can also contain some red) bill tipped with black (as opposed to the black/orange bill in females). It has a white collar which demarcates the head from the purple-tinged brown breast, grey brown wings, and a pale grey belly. The dark tail has white borders.[8] The female Mallard is a mottled light brown, like most female dabbling ducks, and has buff cheeks, eyebrow, throat and neck with a darker crown and eye-stripe.[8] However, both the female and male Mallards have distinct purple speculum edged with white, prominent in flight or at rest (though temporarily shed during the annual summer moult). Upon hatching, the plumage coloring of the duckling is yellow on the underside and face (with streaks by the eyes) and black on the backside (with some yellow spots) all the way to the top and back of the head. Its legs and bill are also black. As it nears a month in age, the duckling's plumage will start becoming drab, looking more like the female (though its plumage is more streaked), and its wings will start to grow for flight.[8] Two months after hatching, the fledgling period has ended and the duckling is now a juvenile. Its bill and legs will lose their dark gray coloring and its wings are halfway developed for full flight. Its sex can finally be distinguished by three factors:[citation needed]

* Bill coloring: Yellow for males, Black and orange for females
    * Breast Feathers: Reddish-brown for males, Brown for females
    * Tail feathers: Curled for males, Straight for females

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    i just read this same thing on wiki

seuono said...
    Rouen
    The plumage coloring of both the Rouen Drake and the Rouen Hen are identical to that of the Mallard Drake and Mallard Hen: Males have green heads, white collars, black tail feathers, a gray body, and a deep claret breast while the Females are mottled light brown with a black crown and eye-stripes; Both genders also have blue speculum feathers. However, Rouens are brighter in colour and larger in size than Mallards. The Rouen Duckling is identical to the Mallard Duckling in terms of plumage coloring. In North America, two distinct types are bred: the common or production-bred variety that is larger than a Mallard but has a typical duck conformation; and the much larger and squarer standard-bred variety. The production variety normally weighs 6–8 lbs (2.7–3.6 kg) while the standard-bred weighs 9–12 lb (4.1–5.4 kg).
    thank you for the info, really does help, but i would like it if someone looked at my pics, and told me what they were. but thanks anyway.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would ask what makes you think they aren't Rouens? They look to large for mallards to me next to the other duck.

5. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    The black duck is a Cayuga and the splotched one an Ancona/Magpie, right? If so, they're Rouens. They look much too large to be Mallards.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I agree that they are too big to be Mallards. Also, the one you think is male should have drake coloring by now.

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:They look like they need a good bath! They also look like they're probably Rouen mixes.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Everything about them still says rouen to me. Look how bulky their bodies are compared to their wings.

9. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:it's there, just coming in slow.

The crested one is a male as well, i see the colors changing in the back feathers, also the face is darkening in both the one you know to be a drake and the crested one. took forever for my rouen boys heads to finish changing!

10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    oh good they are rouens!!! thats awesome, Because im planning on getting some new rouens, and i wasn't sure if they were rouens or not so i wasn't sure if i should get another male either. So whats your take on this should i get another male (I have 3 at the moment)
    or no i have 3 males and 1 female, but one male is crested I'm not keeping him. and I'm eating one .and PLEASE don't make a big deal that I'm eating one. and keeping the other. what should i do get one more or get all ladies? oh just wanted to say that I'm getting 10 more ducklings 5 of them rouen dont know the genders yet not sure until i get a little advice maybe, 4 of them khaki Campbell girls, and 1 cayuga girl. at the moment i have 4 rouens 1 female 3 males 1 khaki campbell male thats why I'm getting the 4 girls and 1 cayuga male hes a pet thats what the 1 lady is for. well hope i can get some advice Please and hank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by