what is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by busdriver9799, Oct 28, 2011.

1. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    We had a surprise this morning. Brand new chickens mysteriously showed up in our coop. I went from 24 chickens to 45! Seriously I went out as usual this morning and it was standing room only! I had to get my kids to look because I seriously thought something was wrong with my mind. Anyway I was able to seperate them out and get them in a different enclosure and I've figured out the breed and sex of everyone but one. I know it's a hen, she's laid already a light brown/white egg. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow I forgot today. She's bantam size and black with a tail that curves up sharply. Reminds me of the Japanese one. What's really strange is her com. If looking at her the front looks like a v, with I think three more v's behind it. I've never seen that before. Thanks Angela

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sounds like someone who didn't want thier flock anymore dumped them on you. it's been known to happen. from your discription the one you discribed sounds like a mix, but pic would help. the three v'd comb might be a pea comb. do you plan to keep them?

3. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    I'll probably keep them, unless I can find good homes. I'll keep them at least until I know they're healthy, wouldn't want to give a friend a sick chick. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    well i hope they're healthy for you!

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    wow, doubled your flock....at least who dumped them, didn't do it on the side of the road! Post pics, and yes you are right to keep them apart for a bit...

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    wow wish this had happened to me instead!!

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    how close is your coop to the road?

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Look up "Rose Combed Bantams". That may be the black version from B/B/S.( Blue/ Black/ Slate)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by