What is this???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

I was out taking my son to the dr and came home and collected the eggs. I went to the nest and the eggs were neatly all together. I looked in the coop to check to see if there was one in there (occasionally there is). I found that and was wondering. Is it normal? Is one of the girls getting things sorted out? After I saw it I ran and got some crushed egg shells. They ate them up! Should I be worried?

It had an egg in it but the shell was so very thin. I never seen this before.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    They seem to do them a lot until they start laying normal eggs.

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Don't worry too much about it. If you have new layers, this is normal. I do have one hen that lays an egg like that every like 4th egg. I like to remove them right away so the girls don't eat them as I am afraid they will start eating the regular eggs.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Do they have free access to oyster shells?

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Some people call those jello eggs, rubber eggs, or my favorite name is the magical disappearing shell egg. Sometimes when a girl is getting her egg laying gear in order, she misses a step in the process and forgets to put the outer coating on it so you get a membrane egg instead of the standard hard shell. A little extra calcium, especially if they are coop/run girls definitely won't hurt. Even older hens will hiccup the works on occasions, especially when cranking back over after molt or winter time.

6. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm glad I read this cause I noticed a weird egg like this once

7. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Most have been laying for 6-7 weeks. One just started about a week ago. Occasionally I will give them crushed up egg shells.

8. Kathylovesherchickens

Kathylovesherchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    White Hall MD
    My one hen used to do that every so often, and I thought maybe they wernt getting enough calcium so I started putting more oyster shells in there feed, & I havnt had any more soft shelled eggs. OH! Also i have a lot of chickens, and sometimes i dont sell my eggs as soon as i'd like so i crack eggs open and they gobble them right up! Might just be my case, but it seemed to have worked [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We have a smaller chick sized feeder with oyster shells in the coop. They can munch as they feel they need it. The go through ti like crazy when laying, and slower in winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by