What is this???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdface, Nov 18, 2011.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Just picked up some new birds the other day and i just noticed this whatever it is on them. The pic isnt the best cause its with my phone they she was wiggling around, but, it looks almost like she has salt/ crust stuck to her. The other one has it too but not as bad as this one does. And she might have some "snot" maybe. And I think she has some mites too. But she seems ok and doesnt scratch at it or anything, doesnt seem to be bothering her. Could it just be caked on dirt that a bath would solve? And a dusting of seven dust or DE should get rid of the mites right?

[​IMG]

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Lice/mite eggs most likely. As you said the pic isn't that clear. Wash them in Dawn, blow dry and treat with poultry powder or sevin every 2 weeks until they are gone. Had to do this with some silkies i bought a while back. It was such a nightmare...I'm sorry.

OH and make sure they are quarantined and you can carefully sanitize and treat the area after they have moved out. I wouldn't move them in with any of your other flock until at least 2 weeks since you saw the last bug. Get the brightest flashlight you can and inspect VERY carefully!!!!

Best of luck to you!

3. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    this one is a little better...not much though

[​IMG]

4. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Can me or anyone else get the lice/mite from these guys?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

No, most chicken parasites are host specific. Be careful if you see snot in the nostrial.... many chicken illnesses are easily spread and affect them for life, so keep them quarantined until you know.

6. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Yes and no. I haven't ever really heard of people getting a full on lice infestation from chickens, but I have heard of bites (like if your dog has fleas). That certainly isn't saying it couldn't happen, I just have never heard of it. To get the dust everywhere in their living quarters i blow it or put a pile in the middle and use a leaf blower. Sounds cave man-ish but it gets it in every nook and crack and cranny imaginable.

I did have one silkie die because she couldn't handle all they were taking out of her. This was all a while ago for me. Looking back, and with the experience i now have, I would have NEVER bought those birds...eh..live, learn and love right?!

And from the second pic, the infestation looks pretty bad. Don't know where you picked up the chooks but if they have a return policy i would take advantage of it. If not, and you love them, it is a long road to recovery but you CAN get there!

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Diatomaceous Earth. Go to your feedstore and get some. Rub it into your chickens feathers thoroughly twice a day. The DE actually minces up the little buggies and their eggs. I fought off a lice infestation with it a couple years back.

Lice are host-specific. Meaning that it cannot jump between species. You might get bitten, but they won't take up residence on you. [​IMG]

Hope that helps! Keep us updated

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    DE is ineffective on an already established bug problem. The bird(s) need(s) to be dusted with an insecticide like Sevin. Wherever the birds have been living also needs to be cleaned and treated. Then you get to do it all again in 7-10 days to get any fresh hatchlings.

Keep an eye out on that "snot" thing. Sick birds are a menace to a healthy flock.

Good luck.

9. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    So if i give them a soapy bath and blast them with some seven every week or 2 that should take care of the bugs? As for the snot? If she is snotty what do i need to do to get rid of that?

right now the two ones with bugs are in my garage in a dog crate...but i do have two other birds in there too but in a brooder box, will the mite "smell" them out and jump too the others? they are not right next too each other but are close.

As for returning them....i dont think they have a return policy unless you get a roo,(which i already returned to them). I dont think im going to be dealing with this guy anymore. Hes as nice enough guy, but is an hr away from me and Im pretty sure if these ones have bugs than the rest of the one that were in the pen with them have bugs too. His conditions were a little less than clean too. I wish he was a little closer and cleanner cause he has some nice breeds there that i like but its not worth the trouble. I only went to him cause he had ameraucanas, but the two i got, one was a roo and the other was a jersey giant and a roo too. So when i too the jersey back all he had was a sick am. left so we took a speckled sussex and a blue red laced wyandotte.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would recommend returning any birds that came from that breeder. Although I presume you have other birds already in your flock from this source? If so, it's too late to uncross that bridge.

Respiratory infections are a big deal. They can be treated but they often render a bird a carrier for life. If you are not interested in selling/showing birds or selling hatching eggs, then you can maintain a closed flock. But one of the problems with these diseases is that they tend to recur in times of stress, so you are often treating sick birds. That is taxing in terms of time, money and resources. You also must realize that any birds brought in or hatched in the future will also get sick/infected. That can lead to a great deal of heart ache. There are antibiotics you can use (Tylan 50, Denegard, and Baytril come to mind), but I am not that familiar with their specifics. I have a zero tolerance policy for respiratory illnesses, so I don't treat sick birds.

All the birds in the garage will need to be treated for mites. If they are in the same environment then they are infested. Mites live for long periods of time in the environment, so the other birds have likely been found and feasted upon.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by