What is this???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykittykitty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    I have discovered that 3 of my hens have TINY black and white bumps on their combs and wattles and one has a strange red squareish mark on her beak and her comb seems to be turning slightly purple at the tips and another seems to be making this weird quail-like sound (not a normal cluck) after I caught the tiny mouse that has been sneaking into the run and stealing their food. They all have parts of their combs that are bleeding. I have already gently cleaned the bleeding parts and they seem to be slowly getting better, but the bumps are multiplying! Could it be fighting? A disease? What is happening to them?
    Sorry if the pictures are a bit blurry. It's hard to take pictures when chickens are pecking the camera from all angles.

Red spot on beak:
    [​IMG]

Black spots on comb/wattles:
    [​IMG]

Black spots on comb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Don't remember the name so I will bump ya. I know it is treatable but is a virus.

3. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    I don't know if this helps but here u go:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)Buff Orpington, 24 weeks, approx. 3 lbs.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal behavior, other than wierd clucking.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Yes
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Yes, slight bleeding.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know, maybe mouse or mosqito bite.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pictures posted
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Run under coop, wood shavings in coop.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Just seen another post sounds like fowl pox. I would search it if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by