What is this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1990f350, Feb 25, 2012.

1. 1990f350

1990f350 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Stevens Point Wi
    This was in the backyard. I think it might be a wolf. Am I right?[​IMG]

2. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    Looks like it might be a Shepherd. The tail might be a bit short for it though...unless it is of German line. I'm not sure.

3. BLRW

BLRW Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Looks like a wolf, but hard to say for sure since we can't see it's head. Any neighbors with big dogs near by?

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Could be a wolf, could be a husky, or a husky cross. Siberian huskies come in that light color. It doesn't look like a German shepherd to me, but it could be a shepherd mix.

I could be a coyote. It looks heavy for a coyote, but it is cold and it could be a coyote with a large winter coat.

There is nothing in the photo to compare size.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Where you are located it could be a coyote, wolf or cross between the two. It has the broad cheek look of a wild canine.

6. BLRW

BLRW Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    My dad is a big hunter and knows all there is to know about wild animals. He took one look and instantly said it's a coyote. Said the tail was a dead give away because it's perfectly round like a hair brush and the foot placement straight in front of the other. Dogs dont walk like this.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    several dog breeds single track, the belgian malinois, newfoundland, schnauzers, dobermans, etc etc - the only difference is that they usually only do it at faster speeds. Poorly bred dogs will do it at a walk though.
    Not saying that the pic isn't probably a coyote or coy-dog mix.

8. BLRW

BLRW Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Trapped coyote all over the U.S. and Canada, 46 years as a game warden, 10 years as Park Ranger, ate coyote for breakfast. Retired in the Hills of KY where we breed our own wildlife. [​IMG]

9. 1990f350

1990f350 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    Stevens Point Wi
    [​IMG]Thanks for all the responses. The picture was taken in central Wisconsin. At first I thought for sure it was a wolf, but I'm still not sure. I did take a walk in the woods today and found dog like tracks, except they were about 4" across. We have been having trouble with wolves in the area, but then we also have coyotes running around. I am posting a picture of a raccoon that is taken in the same place, maybe it will give a sense of size. Thanks again everyone.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sure looks like a white wolf ,but then again the tail looks like it might be curled up in the back, so mabe a husky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by