what is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lanalei1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lanalei1

lanalei1 New Egg

Aug 30, 2012
    My RIR has developed black spots on her combb, I noticied them several weeks ago and today they were worse. Originally I thought that it was dirt because she is always digging but today we tried to brush some of them off and her comb started bleeding, she acts fine otherwise. Any ideas, help?
    [​IMG]

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Thats is most likely blood spots, either from bumping into chicken wire or cutting it on something. My birds never had anything like that until my rooster got older and it seems like he always has that from nicking it on something. Also for awhile i had a dominate hen that was picking on some others and they got that. It is tiny wounds of some sort where it has blead. Look for redness somewhere in the coop, i find it on the ceiling where my rooster bumps into it all the time, that spot on the ceiling looks like someone smeared it with reddish brown paint.
    Mights can also cause similar blood specks but from your photo it is simply abrasions.

1 person likes this.
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Looks like dried blood from a scratch or peck.

4. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    Dried blood is my guess.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Yep, I agree with the others. Somehow my birds seem to get them all the time :/

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    When I first saw the picture, and before reading further, I looked at it again for other symptoms ... so glad you're not dealin' w/ (won't even type such a miserable virus as the one I was thinkin' is ~'-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by