1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khable, May 31, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

My babies (5 1/2 weeks old) have spent 2 nights now in their new big girl coop and a few days in a pen on the grass.

They are on Medicated chick starter, starter grit free choice and have gotten an egg yolk treat the other day.

This morning I found this blob on the roost. It looks and feels like egg whites! very slimy and clear. [​IMG]

Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

What in the world could this be?? They are only 5 1/2 weeks old... not egg laying yet.... so what could it be???

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help with this one.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Looks to me like a very runny poo!?? Ewwwww. I would watch them closely. Maybe the treats gave one of them the runny poo. I dunno. Surely its NOT part of an egg. Way too young.

3. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    It looks like ceca.

If you don't know what that is, here's what my book says -

"Chickens expel two different kinds of droppings. Regular intestinal droppings are firm, grayish-brown, and capped with white urine salts. Approximately every tenth dropping comes from blind pouches in the intestine, called ceca, where cellulose is digested by fermentation. Cecal droppings are runny, sometimes foamy, smellier than regular droppings, and light brown or sometimes greenish in color."
    - From Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The only thing is is that it's not brown or anything, its white or clear... [​IMG]

It's either that, or somehow you sped up your chickens' maturity to hyperspeed!!! I don't know how that's possible, but it really does look like an egg white. And sometimes a pullets first attempt at laying an egg is an egg with no shell or yolk, soooooo...

But there's no way that a pullet would choose a high-traffic perch to try to lay an egg on, so I'm gonna go with the ceca explination. [​IMG]

4. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Thank you both for your replies!

I kinda feel silly now... but I like your explanation of ceca.

Thanks,

5. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Yup... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by