1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT IS THIS???!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by salt and pepper, Mar 24, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    This is the STRANGEST dropping I have EVER seen! Should I worry????

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Did bird consume a lot of fiberous greens like some sort of hay, especially without getting some for a while? If yes, are you certain bird is getting enough grit?

3. salt and pepper

I did feed them greens a couple of days ago, and they do have grit at all times. their coop has straw in it. I can't say if she's acting weird, as for the last few days it's been pouring! So none of the chickens are as perky as usual...

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The mass looks very much like a mass of fiber passed that was not properly triturated / ground by gizzard. The bird probably did not feel well during process. To get a similar feeling and product with yourself; try consuming a large amount of asparagus that was picked a little to late or simply a lot of celery. To get maximal effect, chew minimally.

5. salt and pepper

So I shouldn't worry? They always have clean food,water,grit,and egg shells, and I clean their coop regularly, we've just had awful weather the last couple of days.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Check their night feces left while roosting tonight. If that looks normal then all has passed.

7. salt and pepper

Ok, thank you, I'll let you know in the morning.

8. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    I agree. It could be only a one time thing and dependent on what the chicken ate. I gave my chickens red cabbage a couple of times and noticed the color of their droppings was an odd color too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by