What IS this?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allhisblessings, Aug 10, 2013.

1. allhisblessings

allhisblessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    I just stopped in the feed store and saw this...I'm not even sure it's a chicken! They asked me if i wanted it, that it was dropped off by someone not wanting it, and it was a male, crowing. Anyone know what it is and if i should take it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KrazyChromatics

KrazyChromatics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Northern NY
    araucana (SP?) ? *shrug* im not sure whatelse wouldnt have a tail and a rose comb.... if your in to it take it i guess lol

3. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    I don't really think that looks like a male. The people who dropped it off did know that hens can crow if there's no rooster around, right? Any idea how old it is, and if it should be laying if it was female? I could still be wrong, and it could be a boy.

Knowing the age would make identifying the breed a lot easier. Certain colors and combs at certain ages, and all that. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a chicken, and it's male. You can see hackle and saddle feathers. It's just a rumples mixed breed.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a mixed-breed rooster.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a rumpless mixed breed rooster. He probably has some Araucana or Manx Rumpy ancestry.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Probably just a rumpless easter egger. I dont think it looks like a purebred araucana. Leg color dosent look right and im not sure what colors they come in.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Zoomed in on the pic. It isnt a purebred araucana. It dosent even have a pea comb

9. allhisblessings

allhisblessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Tallahassee, FL
    Interesting! So nope, I'm not taking him. I got enough roosters as it is! Lol! Thanks for the info! I love to learn about chicken breeds :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by