What is this??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by girlwithahook, Oct 18, 2013.

1. girlwithahook

girlwithahook New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    So this was on my droppings board this morning. it's brittle, i cut it in half and whitish liquid came out (that's what the part is in the middle in the picture). There was also yolky stuff in the poop so it was like a runny poop. My hen is also acting strange. Standing around in one spot for a long time, dozing off while standing up, being slow and not running up to me when i come outside. She's in the nest box right now, just went in. I do things naturally, so no real medications or anything. She eats organic, local layer pellets and free ranges all day. Lays a good egg everyday. What could this be? Thanks for helping!

2. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly a root? Or a worm :(

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it looks like it could be a worm.

4. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I would vote for worm. Do you use ACV with your hens? If not I would try some in the water. I have read its a very good natural de-wormer.

5. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you worked them lately?

6. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    That is a big, nasty worm! I don't know what kind, but I would worm ASAP.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like an earthworm, but maybe a roundworm? Either way, worming the flock is a good idea.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Girlwithahook: That is a large roundworm. Your hen that is acting slow, not running up to you and is now in the nest box...is slowly starving due to worms and will eventually die if you dont treat her with a wormer such as valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. If one bird has worms, the rest of them have worms. Doing things naturally in this instance will do nothing to save your hen.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    ACV will not prevent chickens from getting worms, you have been misinformed.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2! -Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by