what is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daddypoopup, Jan 11, 2014.

1. daddypoopup

daddypoopup New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi all,
    our hens have just recently started laying, and today we came across this in one of their eggs. There was a yolk and white plus whatever this is... any thoughts? is one of our hens not a hen? doesn't really look like an embyro to me...

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] COOL, i have seen this once before but i dont think they knew what it was then. definitely a hen, roosters dont lay eggs. lets see what everyone thinks

3. daddypoopup

daddypoopup New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    i didnt thing a rooster laid it, rather that a rooster fertilized it

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Google 'lash egg'.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im sorry, i totally read your post wrong. lol

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I bet that thing made you back up and gasp in fear. This is an 'oops' egg commonly seen in pullets who are still working out the kinks in the egg making factory. Let me tell you those young gals can come up with some doozies that will make Stephen King drool in envy. Don't worry, your hen should be okay. However if you continue to see this type of egg you will need to be concerned. Occasionally an older hen will produce something like this and may indicate an issue going on internally , But in a young, healthy pullet just starting out, I think you are in the clear.

Honestly, I'd preserve this egg in a jar and put it on display at Halloween.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by