What is Tis Eye Problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jujube2, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jujube2

jujube2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hi,

My 9 month old Partridge Rock did not look this way 2 days ago. Only her left eye has this problem. She is recovering from a sprained left leg after which she was attacked by the flock and loss the majority of her neck and back feathers and received some nasty cuts and bruises. She was immediately removed from the flock and remains in the chick hospital for her safety and healing. We made an outdoor fenced rehab area for her to have sun and fresh air each day before we bring her back in. The back and neck are healing well with new quills formed as of yesterday. I found this problem with the eye on yesterday which started with just a small red bump but no swelling the day before. Can you give your best input as to what it might be? Also, what are the dark scar looking areas and how do I treat them both?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jujube

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Dark areas are dried up blood, Looks like she's been attacked pretty good. My guess what every tore up her neck and back, also go close to her eyes..

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Do you have COLD weather there? like below zero degrees? I zoomed in on her comb, it looks a little like maybe she got some frost bite.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like fowl pox, but there would need to be mosquitoes out since it is a virus spread by mosquitoes. Is it warm where you live now?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, I just saw your thread from last week where you posted similar pictures, and you said it was cold there now where you live. So it must not be fowl pox.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Are you sure they are not wounds from the attack and are now infected? The entire area around eye appears swollen and there appears to be necrotic tissue near eye and on corner of beak.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I'm thinking wounds. But Im not sure if she's got cold weather there or not it could be some frost bite.. I don't see any responses from them, though???

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Not frostbite,looks like a puncture wound from a tooth. Black tissue needs to be removed and wounds cleaned as they are infected. I recommend Vetericyn b/c of the eye wound,vetericyn is one product that is safe to use in or around eye.If vetericyn is not an option,then purchase an eye ointment,i use polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment for sties,can be used on other wounds also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by