1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is to young to worm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sham30, Oct 26, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I have some older birds and younger birds - my question is what is to young to worm? My youngest hens are 5 months. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you seeing worms? If not why do you want to worm?
    Michele

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:X2 and they say worming 2 times a year anyway but do you have reason to be concerned?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Starting out, I usually wait til they are about 8-10 months before I worm. However, if you see them acting lethargic, not eating/drinking, unthriftyness, worms in poop, generally not acting like a chicken should... by all means worm them. It's not necessary to see worms in poop in order to worm them. When you see them in poop, it means they are overloaded with them and have no other place to go...but out.

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    This thread has been very helpful! [​IMG]

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've never worm mine, I give them things that are considered a preventive. Plenty of pumpkins when in season, chopped up garlic, AVC in there water, cayenne pepper, yogurt. I know what they say but I think the chemicals of harsh. We don't worm our dogs and cats unless there's a problem.
    Michele

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I am sort of swing toward "natural" treatments and I just wanted to add that they had been on DE, garlic, kelp and cayenne daily since I got them. It didn't really help.
    As you can see in the sentence "natural" treatments those things are not treatments but preventives, if your bird is gut loaded you CAN NOT use these to treat. If I suspected my birds had worms I would have the poo tested at the vets and if it were positive, then I would treat whole flock. I clean up poop boards every other day. unless it looks messier, I check there poo then. I understand what everyone says about 2x a year. I just don't so it and I don't medicate my chicks. I have cat who, recently killed and ate 3 baby rabbits, I think we all know that rabbits are the biggest tape worm carry there is, because I'm grossed out by tape worms, I called the vet to see if I should worm him, he told me, the wormier is harsh on their systems and they don't like doing it, unless I actually see them, which takes 6 months to run it's coarse, still watching 3 months in. So I guess its just a personal chose, I always just wonder the reasons, not telling anyone they are wrong, we all do what we feel to be best for our birds.
    Michele

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Good for you, glad you will have samples tested often. Good luck.

10. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:X2 and they say worming 2 times a year anyway but do you have reason to be concerned?

A few of my older hens are seeming kinda thin, not as big and hefty as they normally are and a couple are kind of slow. I feed a real good layer feed, they get cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds as well a lot of treats. I worry where we have really harsh winters going into one thin is not a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by