What is too cold for my girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epeloquin, Oct 23, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have six pullets that are twenty seven weeks old. I selected Rhodies and Ply Rocks because they are hearty birds raised to handle the harsh New England winters. However, I am wondering what is too cold? Toonight got down to 34 degrees so I am really not worried about them. This is a pic of my coop before I built the run.

[​IMG]

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    In your location there will be no such thing as too cold. Block the wind, provide food and water and they will be fine.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The folks in Alaska don't put heat in their coops. In very hard freezes some birds can get frostbite on their combs. So I don't worry about adding any heat until things drop into the teens. But they probably don't really need even that.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. There is a breed named for nearby New Hampshire, another for nearby Rhode Island and another named for Plymouth Rock that were bred long, long before anyone thought of heating the coop, etc. We hit 23F this morning. I love it because it is getting them hardened off and encouraging feather/down growth for what comes later. And.... we all know what comes later.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Temperature should be no problem at all for your chickens.

I looked at the coop pictures on your page. It looks like you've got them roosting right at the height of both of the windows on the sides, right up against the windows. They could have wind blowing right on them. That's great for the summer. With the winters we get here, that would be a problem for me. The ventilation all around the top is really good.

If it was my coop, I'd probably cover the side windows for winter and add more ventilation at the top in front, if more ventilation was needed in the winter.

Otherwise, I'd try to put something in front of those windows to deflect the air up away from the chickens, so it's not blowing right on them.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:I actually made a cardboard insert wrapped in duct tape for the windows. The roost actually runs the entire length of the coop so they don't have to sleep near the windows, although they usually do. I will cover them when it gets colder.

Thanks e'one!

8. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    epeloquin, Thank you for asking this question as I have wondering the same thing. Now my mind is more at ease.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:your coop looks pretty cold , no insulation. and the top is open and sides.is it straight plywood ? ( meaning no thickness to it? Im sure if it does not get any colder then 30 degrees out if you cover them windows etc. but man this would be to cold for my girls. we have 4 inch walls insulated and windows of glass. and a top vent hood, not an open top. must be warm where you are. here in montana insulation and windows and thicker walls insure the girls will b comfortable. still very cold but doable.

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    don't worry about it!

Chickens can handle pretty cold temps. I live in SW missouri and I don't put any heat in the coop for my full grown birds. Last year we had a blizzard with sub zero temps for about 2 weeks. I figure if regular birds can fly about why wouldn't chickens be able to handle it?

We had over 4 feet of snow...they didn't venture far from the coop, but they came out every day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If these guys can handle it Chickens definitely can!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by