what is too cold

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Berynn, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I live in riverside ca. It is going to get down to the 40's tonight. Will my pullets freeze to death, they are four months old?
    Leg horn
    ee
    barred rock wyondotte
    brown leg horn
    punk rocker

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    There is NO WAY your chickens will freeze to death in Riverside! [​IMG] My coop temp is down to around 13 right now.....

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

With the temps we've been having ....low single digits to teens...my chickens would think 40 is a balmy day!! I don't think you need to worry about yours.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you have a draft free coop to put them in for the night? They should be fine in those temps. If it's in the 40's outside it will be warmer in a coop. Is your coop insulated.

I didn't even use any heat here when it dipped in the 20's and mine were fine.

5. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    Friday night the low here was -12 (windchill somewhere below that...)

I went to check on the girls Sat. morning, and the door to the coop had gotten opened by the wind(improperly latched) Everyone was fine, but it was a scary moment. Fixed the latch to make sure it doesn't happen again.

6. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Only a Californian would think 40 is freezing to death! I'm in upstate New York. It gets below zero here and the chickens are just fine. I don't turn on their heat lamp unless it's in the single digits. They'll be fine as long as they can get inside out of the weather when they want to.

7. sclanimals

sclanimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    We've been -5 lately here in Utah. My birds just find a spot in our hay stack and bed down for the night. They lay between the bales. That's where I'd be too if I was out there. We haven't had any problems so far. I also have some 4 month olds that just seem to take it in stride. Everybody huddles!

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Smitty's Farm :

Do you have a draft free coop to put them in for the night? They should be fine in those temps. If it's in the 40's outside it will be warmer in a coop. Is your coop insulated.

I didn't even use any heat here when it dipped in the 20's and mine were fine.

[​IMG] see.told you they would be [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Just make sure they're not in a draft. Being raised in Riverside, I'm sure they're just as shocked at 40 degrees as you are.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I can't wait for 40 degree weather! It's been 15 or less these few days. I panicked and stapled old bathmats to the outside of their coop. It looks like shanty town, but they were cozy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by