1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is too high a temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjaazzy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I am very new to all this also, and I just started incubating my first eggs yesterday. I tested the unit prior to putting the eggs in several times and it seemed like the temp was a constant 100 equaling 37.7 on the temp screen. With very little fluctuating, but today day 2 ,the temps seem to be fluctuating quite a bit. ( I am in Florida and the temps have dropped from high 70's to 50's but in the house the swing has probably just been about 10 degrees. But I do have this box in the powder room and we have kept the door cracked to reduce the temperature swings. Now the thing is popping up and down and trying to keep it constant but on my meat probe it is rising up to as high as 103 that only lasted maybe 10 - 15 seconds and then dropped to 102, then shortly down to 101. should I be concerned? The meat prob is in the side lower below the eggs and is reading from a different spot of course then the units. Should I turn this unit down a bit? According to the meat prob my temps are fluctuating from 99 - 103

2. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    I think there should be no concern. I am incubating my first batch also with a still air incubator. 103 for that short period should not affect the eggs' internal temp.

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    x2

If the incubator temp rises, it takes a couple hours to raise the internal egg temperature. I believe 104F internal temp would kill an embryo? It is unlikely that the internal temp got to 103, or even close, in 10-15mins. :)

4. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks all, for taking my anxiety level down a notch or two!

5. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    Math what eggs are u incubating in the still air?

6. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Just in case someone is walking in my shoes of first timers... the temp levels evened out in the days that followed. And Math was right the temp spikes were short little bursts. I guess the box temp and egg temps were in a battle at first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by