what is too much to feed them

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by austindon, Dec 12, 2013.

1. austindon

austindon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2013
    The lady at the feed store told me to throw some raw hamburger meat out there. They all went nuts and love it. They always have pellets and laying feed out there too, but now whenever I walk out there they are thinking they are getting meat. I took scraps from uncooked beef tenderloin out there today and they went nuts over it too. So is there too much of anything that you can feed your chickens other then chicken feed?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Just like with humans you can feed a chicken too much of anything, and everything.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Scraps are okay. I wouldn't want to give them a lot of meat and fat at once, though.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You can feed them cooked meat, too.

Chris

5. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    You can feed them too much, but I rarely have this problem. Because they are splitting it up between a few (or a lot in some cases) chickens they rarely get a change to gorge on scraps. If they do get too much, you'll notice they are leaving scraps behind. Their excitement for the food will drop. When chickens get too much or too little, egg production falls and so does body weight/conition (fatting fat, front heavy, or getting slim). But the occasional meat scraps won't do this to your chickens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by