1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is toxic to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CacklingCarolyn, Apr 28, 2011.

1. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    What should my girls absolutely not get to eat because of toxicity? I want to give them treats but certainly don't want to accidentally harm them.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    For most things, you can go by whether it would harm you to eat it. I'd also avoid giving them chocolate (although why would you share that?!), dried fruit that is preserved with sulfites, alcohol, potato peels that have gone green, and anything that has mold on it.

3. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I know alvacados are poisonous to parrots, not sure about chickens. Also, I have seen post on here about apple seeds containing cianide.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:It's not the avocado flesh that's the problem, it's the brown seed coating. And yes, apple and pear seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide but it's generally accepted that a seed here and there isn't going to harm them.

Also, dried beans have to be cooked first.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  5. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:If you try to plant a toxic plant free zone, you will drive yourself crazy. Oleanders are also poisonous but our rabbits live in them. While Morning Glories are toxic, they usually won't eat them..in fact, you can find quite a selection of vintage books and post cards about chickens and Morning Glories together...I know..I used to grow like 90 varieties [​IMG]

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Common Foods and Plants Toxic to Chickens
    raw potatoes and peels
    avocado
    citrus fruits
    rhubarb leaves
    chocolate/caffeine
    apple seeds
    onions
    garlic
    mushrooms
    alcohol
    potato, eggplant, and tomato plants/leaves
    salt
    mistletoe or holly berries
    raw beans
    nutmeg
    sweet pea plant
    tobacco
    stone fruit pits
    asparagus

Read more: http://www.grit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=4294967388&tag=Chickens#ixzz1KaHbNV3Z

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:This list is not accurate. apple seeds can only hurt them in large quantities, salt is vital to their health, raw beans just need to be cooked, and citrus is not toxic either...some people say it can make their stools loose but I have seen many people throw out oranges for their chickens...nor is garlic or onions they can just make the eggs taste funny, or peas nor tomatoes nor eggplant.... and asparagus isn't toxic either.

3 people like this.
  9. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I agree! I have thrown oranges out for them and it hasn't hurt them. People put them in with chickens when they ship them. Chickens have been around for a long time and without so much human intervention. How do you think chickens faired way back when? They knew what to eat and what not to eat. They didn't have humans to ration out their food. They just ate whatever they found on the ground which begs the question - What do you think baby chicks ate back before we had chick starter? Did momma find food for them or teach them how to find bugs etc???

10. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    As far as plants go, this is a pretty extensive site: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

I
    don't feed dried beans or avocados in any form; I don't feed anything with a lot of onions or garlic b/c it can make the eggs taste funky; I don't give them any potato peelings; and I try not to give anything too loaded with sugar and salt. I don't feed anything with mold or that has obviously gone off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by