What is up with Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So about a week ago I posted some chickens for sale on Craigslist. No problems. I just tried to post some more and I got a "you must have a Craigslist account to post in farm & garden". Okay... whatever. I made a Craigslist account and got it confirmed. Now it's saying I have to give them a phone number. WHY!?!!! Why does Craigslist need my phone number? What's up with this policy change? You didn't used to have to have an account to use Craigslist. Is Craigslist going the route of EBay in being difficult?

Grrr...

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've been a member for several months and I had to sign up for an account, phone number and all.

I think this policy is in place because of the bad light that has been shown on Craigslist because of murders and such linked to it.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    They can have my email address. I don't really want to give them my phone number!

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    They've been doing that for quite a while now. There's a way around it but I can't remember what it is at the moment. If I do remember, I'll pm you.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Do you have to put it in the ad? or just when you sign up...

What about a cell #?

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Used to you could just post an ad. You got an anonymous Craigslist generated email address that would forward to the email address you gave when you made the ad. Nothing was stored by Craigslist. It was all ad by ad. You COULD make an account to speed up your postings, but you didn't have to. You never had to give a phone number ever.
    Now it won't let me post until I give Craigslist a phone number. I don't want to give out my phone number, especially to Craigslist. It's an internet network. They have no need for my phone number. An email address makes sense, but my phone? No thank you! I don't give that out ever to real humans. Grrrrrrrr...

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    You can use a home phone or cell. You just give them the number and they will call the number (automated reply) where it gives you a pin number. You have to enter the pin number and then you're set. It isn't posted in any ad unless you post it yourself.

8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I posted some chickens last night and didn't need to create an account. Maybe it has to do with location?

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have an account, but don't remember having to give them a phone number [​IMG]

And, sometimes I forget to log into my CL acct and post an ad and all it does is forward it to my email for confirmation before posting. Must be a regional thing. I don't think they'll post the phone number in your ad.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm going to go put my roo up and see what happens...i'll let you know..

I'm back.. [​IMG] It didnt ask me for a phone #... Maybe it is regional..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by