What Is Up With "Cute"? (Horses)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redcatcher, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    It seems as if in the past 10 years or so, nobody can ever call a horse pretty, beautiful, handsome, noble or whatever term really fits a horse. Kids and ponies, yes, or even foals. But how can someone look at a 15.2 hand muscular Appaloosa stallion and remark "Isn't he CUTE?". And it is always women. Why?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    because he is and I just said a mare I am looking at was pretty today in my thread "may trade....."

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The only horse I have ever called cute was either a young baby or a small pony... all other horses are beautiful, noble, gorgeous, amazing, handsome etc... [​IMG]

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It depends on who is saying it.

Sure, sometimes people use the word to mean 'pretty' or 'attractive'.

In a lot of horsey groups, 'cute' is actually an insult or at least mildly derogatory. It means that the animal is not a good mover, doesn't perform well, etc.

In some groups around here, 'cute' means 'average' or a 'lightweight' (can't perform well). It can be very derogatory, and even reflect on the rider or owner, as in, due to such limited ability, the rider only needs something that's limited - 'that's a cute horse for you'.

Or it can mean, 'has a nice head, ears, color or a nice tail, but that's all'.

A 'cute little mover' is a horse that can't trot his way out of a paper bag even with help. A 'cute jumper' is one that performs in the easiest classes and has no scope.

I think it originally came from show hunter people, I think I've even read George Morris use the term.

But I've also read him refer to a horse as a 'tasty jumper'.

There is a point beyond which, one should not go, in making up one's own slang, and then disseminating it through the horse world.

At some point, it actually was a kind of 'horseman's hyperbole'...instead of saying fantastic, out of this world, shrug diffidently, act very casual and cool, and say, 'welll....yes...it's a good horse...'...in other words, the typical tack of a horseman who is making sure if he ever wants to make an offer on the horse, everyone will think it's at least a little bit closer to worthless.

And of course, the REAL trick of it is that some people mean praise with the world....and some don't, LOL.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You always have the BEST horse answers Welsummerchicks!!! [​IMG]

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks, that's because I'm a nerd and a repository for all the most useless and irrelevant details ever forgotten by anyone else. And instead of remembering to balance my checkbook, I remember that the fox hunters scarlet coat is called a 'Pink Coat' because the famous taylor named 'Pink' who popularized them...I try to fight it, but there it is.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    for me, babies and minis are "cute" horses however are "stunning" "gorgeous" or "handsome/pretty"

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

This one is nothin' but..... CUTE! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    if Ive got to feed it then it had better have a cute face. i usually mean cute, as in pretty face, pretty mover, not in a nasty way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by