What is up with my Delawares!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mconro, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    We hae Delawares this year for meat birds. They have free range and are allowed to go into their coop at night. We have a red light on as they have pecked in the past. (They are 14 weeks old) They have a chicken door and a roost.

The bad news is that we have lost 3. 2 we have NO idea what happened. Just found them laying with no visable injury. The third we believe was suffocated! For some reason these birds crowd in the corner!! And I mean CROWD!! We have put 5 gallon buckets in the corners (upside down) so they can't push each other quite as much. Any ideas??

Also, there are a few of them that are hyper sexual. They LOVE my husband's brown suede work shoes! And I have the bites on my ankles to prove how much they LOVE them.

Any ideas would be great. These are the strangest birds I ever seen. We got them because we had read they were close to the old Indian River breed. Don't remember these behaviors! lol

Thanks much!

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Sounds to me they are getting cold.

3. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Can't be cold. We NEVER let the coop get below 60 degrees and they were doing it when it was 80 in the coop the other day and humidity was awful.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Do they run from you lol

When they go in the coop do the spread around any or go straight to a corner?
    They may be scared of something in the coop area. I had this kinda issue once and caught a few snakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by